Now that you're aware. . . .

  so what's next?
  Of how many things can one person be aware?  And can we be aware of them all at once?
  i don't think so.
  There's endless good causes out there, and we'd go broke supporting all of them even to the tune of $1 each.
  Never mind keeping them all in mind at once.
  And don't even think about donating TIME to very many.  Unfortunately.

  How about the literal meaning of the word?  AWARE.
  Aware that that oddball might have a valid reason for being odd.
  Aware that maybe those parents need a helping hand, not censure.
  Maybe you can't adopt my cause.  i hear ya.  There's a half dozen other causes i'd like to make my own, but who can do it all?

What Not to Do

  Don't pat my hand and say "hang in there, bear up."  Don't tell me i'm horrible when i miss the mark.
  Get a clue.  Cut me some slack.  Lend a hand if you have the chance.  Not just me, but the struggler you know.

My Cake Moment


    The cake in the photo marks not only my graduation from high school, but a pivotal point in my own AWARENESS, though i'd never heard the words autism or even cancer at that point.  (ok, i was sheltered.  i know now i'd lost relatives to the Big C by then.)
  A new driver, i was sent to retrieve the cake.
  i had the decorated cake beside me, unrestrained.  My own driving skills were ok under normal circumstances, but kinda shaky with this new test.
  A lot of people were irratated with me as i drove the five backroad miles home.  At no point did i come anywhere near the 50mph speed limit!
  Their honking only made things worse.

  So for years afterward, when i was tempted to become irritated with another driver, i would tell myself,
  "Maybe that driver has a cake beside him."
  So, maybe not.  But it helps the blood pressure, mine and the other drivers.

What's Your Cake Moment?


      initial sketch based on an actual vehicle i  saw a few years back; drawn w/ pencil                                in my left hand, colored holding mouse with my right (off) hand

No comments:

Post a Comment

i look forward to your comments! Thank you for sharing them.