Robert K. Massie's 1967 masterpiece, Nicholas and Alexandra. i'm a permanent fan of Nicholas, possibly the ultimate bad fit for his job.
Just a few of the other books Mrs. Thomas introduced me to were:
- A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle
- some books by the yard deal, grey stamped with blue, about the French and Indian war. Yes, i TOTALLY loved it, though it looked the proverbial dry as dust.
- The Lost State of Franklin: America's First Secession
- The Black Stallion series
- a biography of Christina of Sweden, fascinating but not at all racy, as more recent tellings of her story are.