Story from an Old Song

i wrote this last summer; i don't think i posted it then?
Anyone recognize my inspiration?


I was on my way out to gather eggs when i saw them.  Two
long-haired, greasy kids stealing our eggs.  OUR eggs.  I called Jack to the window.  He was furious.  Stomped right out to the coop and put them to work.
And he should have.  I'm just glad I saw them before I got outside.
But....
They weren't like we expected.  They looked like hippies, but they were polite, and genuinely scared of us.  Bingo liked them, and their dog was so well-mannered.  How could bad kids have a nice dog?
We gave them lunch.  They shared with us about their adventures on their cross-country trip.  It sounded so exciting. For us, excitement was a day shopping in St. Paul.  Never been out of Minnesota before. 
I convinced Jack to pay them for the work they did.  It wasn't much, barely covered their next tank of gas I expect, and gas was a lot less in 1970 than now.
I wonder what became of those fellas.
Us? Meeting them changed our lives.  When the developers bought our farm a few years later, Jack got us an RV and we became like gypsies for the next ten years or so. 
Jack and me and Bingo II.

 https://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/lobo/me_and_you_and_a_dog_named_boo.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

i look forward to your comments! Thank you for sharing them.